OCZ Z1000M Noise

Sound Pressure Level
Load dB(A)
10% 18
20% 18
50% 20
80% 22
100% 25
110% 29

The OCZ isn't very noisy at low loads, and 29dBA at 110% overload is decent for a 1000W PSU. From 0-80% load, this PSU is nearly silent. It may not be the most silent PSU we have ever seen, but we have seen (and will see again) louder offerings, including several in this roundup.

Efficiency and PFC

230VAC, 50Hz
Load Efficiency PFC
10% 84% 0.804
20% 89% 0.852
50% 91% 0.915
80% 91% 0.943
100% 89% 0.954
110% 88% 0.960

115VAC, 60Hz
Load Efficiency PFC
10% 83% 0.938
20% 88% 0.943
50% 90% 0.980
80% 89% 0.986
100% 87% 0.991
110% 86% 0.993

OCZ barely squeaks by and meets the 80Plus Gold requirement (87% on 115VAC, or 88% on 230VAC), but it's not quite at the same 90%+ range as some of the other PSUs. The results at 10% load are also good if not great. Interesting to note is that our measurements are slightly lower than the 80Plus organization's results.

OCZ Z1000M Regulation and Ripple AeroCool V12XT 1000W Overview
Comments Locked


View All Comments

  • Marlin1975 - Thursday, December 9, 2010 - link

    How about more reviews on items that most would use, not a very small subset.

    I have a 600wat power supply and only bought that due to sale/coupon over the 500watt. My HTPC has a 380 etc...

    Test the PS's that are lowwer priced but still 80% rated and see if they really hold up for most builders.
  • Minion4Hire - Thursday, December 9, 2010 - link

    It has been a while since they did a large mid-range PSU roundup, but different people are in the market for different products.

    The thing is that the vast majority of mid-range power supplies ARE perfectly adequate for the vast majority of users in that market segment. Some are better, some are worse, but everything will generally come out okay. But if you're going to drop +$200 on a power supply it BETTER damn well perform! Of course if someone is looking to spend $20 on a 500W PSU for a gaming rig then they'll get what they're paying for.
  • Taft12 - Thursday, December 9, 2010 - link

    If modular is a requirement (and it should be for mid-range+) Seasonic M12II 520W or 620W is probably the best you can do in the $75-100 range.
  • michaelheath - Thursday, December 9, 2010 - link

    Minion, Taft, those are good responses but don't really address Martin's point: Why would I, a reasonable enthusiast who has a quad core CPU, a decent single GPU, a hard drive or two and a DVD burner, really care about what's going on in the 1000w+ PSU market? Other than pure curiosity? I need a 550w power supply at worst, and I too would like to see more reviews reflect the need of the majority of users. This article was interesting, but it's ultimately useless for ~95% of the readers viewing it.
  • MeanBruce - Friday, December 10, 2010 - link

    Useless is right!

    AnandTech for SSDs and Smartphones and Applegear.

    JonnyGuru.com for Power Supplies.

    Tom Logan at Overclock3D for cases, cooling, and motherboards.

    Experience is Everything!

    Experience is Everything!
  • poohbear - Sunday, December 12, 2010 - link

    Totally agree. Xmas is coming n we're all shopping, n they do a 1000wt psu review? This review is for da .01% of users out there, by da reviewers own admission, why even bother?
  • Martin Kaffei - Monday, December 13, 2010 - link

    3x 550

    1x 460

    1x 380

    1x 300
    coming soon
  • RagingForces - Thursday, December 9, 2010 - link

    Thanks for the article. I am in the market for these type PSUs and am glad to see a roundup article. This is why I come to Anandtech :)
  • Vicey - Thursday, December 9, 2010 - link

    I'm surprised that the AX1200 by Corsair wasn't included as to be honest that is the only PSU in the 1200W range I'd consider buying.
  • dajeepster - Thursday, December 9, 2010 - link

    I'm surprised too... I have both the Corsair AX1200 and the OCZZ1000

Log in

Don't have an account? Sign up now